So you are all excited about the long ride or BRM you are starting next morning. Your bike is serviced, you have done your packing, in case no tcheck out this list. Many Indian cyclists remain confused about what to eat before the ride and what to carry along.
Here I am sharing a list of food suitable for Indian riders!!
Pre Ride meal/foods
Your pre ride meal should be energy dense but healthy. So food items having more carbs are preferred. Irritated stomach/acidity is the last thing you want during your ride.
When to take your pre ride meal/food ?
If you are starting your ride early 5 am, eat these items in dinner the day before. If you want to eat something in the morning, you should eat them 2 hours before your ride. That’s the time taken for their digestion!!
- Potatoes – Best option for dinner. complex cab with zero fat.
- Sweet Potatoes – Apart from being carb-rich, it contains protein as well. Rich source of vitamins.
- Poha – tasty but healthy breakfast option
- Oatmeal – complex carbs released over a long time.
- brown bread + peanut butter – a great source of carbs and fat
- idle – Rice is a good source of carbs
During the ride
- Banana/Sapodilla – ( 100 kcal/banana )my all time favorite, banana is a rich source of potassium, fibers, and carbs. No wonder pro rides eat them during the ride as well.
- Chikki – ( 90 kcal/piece) Made with jaggery, sesame (til) and Peanuts. It is superior to those expensive energy gels. It is homemade, it is tasty and it is real food!!
- Dates – (20 kcal/date)king of energy.
- Fig – (75 kcal/fig) rich in calc, fibers, and carbs.
- Energy gels/bars – Expensive but good for a change of taste and quick energy during the ride. I personally don’t use them. Haven’t felt the need yet!
How much to take every hour?
You should be very careful about how much you eat. Your body cannot digest more than 1 gram carb per minute. so ideally you should take 30-50 gram carbs per hour.
This is what you can take every hour- Half banana/ 1 fig/ 3 dates / 1 piece of Chikki
How much should you drink when cycling?
Along with nutrition, hydration is critical for your body. Though the amount varies with the intensity, weather condition. A general rule is to consume 500 ml per hour.
But more important thing is, even if you don’t feel thirsty, especially during your starting 2-3 hours, you need to keep consuming the water. Because it is too late if you consume it only when you feel thirsty. Follow this strictly in hot weather, so you will soon end up dehydrated.
Best rule about nutrition and hydration is :
eforeyou are hungry, Drink before you are thirsty
What to drink during your ride?
- Water – Most important
- ORS – Cheapest source of minerals.
Besttreatment of dehydration.
- Salt – can mix in water if no other option available. Balances Na+ level in
- Coconut water – Natural alternative or ORS and it is tasty!!
- Energy Drinks
Meal to take After the long cycle ride
Even though you are taking regular food during your ride, there are great chances you have consumed most of your glycogen storage. it is time to replace it. You muscle also have done a great job working continuously for past 7-8 hours. It is time to repair them with protein.
So a Carb + protein-rich meal is necessary after the ride. If you don’t take it within 30-40 minutes of completing the ride, the body goes into catabolic state and start breaking your muscle fibers to get energy.
This is also the time to celebrate and treat your tastebuds with tasty food!!
If you are non-vegetarian, Chicken curry with paratha is a great option. Vegetarians can have –